HISTORY AND DESCRIPTION
Birkenhead Trampoline Club has been in existence as a competitive trampoline club since 1975 approximately. In all that time it has been situated at Grange Road West Sports Centre, Birkenhead. BTC was started by Dave Rankin and Cathy Page, as a competitive club, Dave also was the lead coach in the sports centre run recreational classes. Those on the classes who wanted to compete joined the club and trained more often. In the late 70’s and early 80’s it was a NW Sports Council funded Centre for Excellence. Over the years it has produced many Full and youth Internationals (see below). Over the years members of the club have won many North West (NW) titles and National titles.
- Double Mini Tramp – About 15 years ago we started doing Double Mini tramp (DMT) as well as trampolining, and have since won NW and national titles at that as well.
- Recreational classes – The coaches have always been involved in the coaching of the sports centre recreational classes until we took over the sports centre. More recently we have set up classes in St. Mary’s RC college, in Wallasey, and West Kirby Concourse. We have also always run holiday courses for children.
- Competition –We take part in all National Graded competitions, from Grade G up to Grade A, schools competitions, and regional competitions. We also occasionally take teams abroad to compete in International Open competitions. We have also organised regular local competitions as well as being involved in the organisation of National competitions.
- Funding – We have received Lottery awards to purchase trampolines and double minis in the past.
- National Affiliation – Originally we were affiliated to the British Trampoline Federation, which merged in 2000 with British Gymnastics to which we are now affiliated. – All the coaches and the judges are members and CRB checked. Gymmark – the club gained Gymmark accreditation in 2004.
- Full Internationals – Tony Furlong, Paul Abram, Steve Smith, Neil Brookes, Bobby Dillon, Hanna Moses,
- Youth Internationals and reserves– Paul Abram, Steve Smith, Neil Brookes, Trevor Kearon (reserve), David Ford, Sylvia Dillon, Michelle Blaylock, Richard Blaylock, Matthew Southern, Neil Gregory, Andrew Wild, Philip Mayston, Jayde Beacall (World Age Group U11 and U13 champion). Sarah Littler, Hanna Moses, Tom Jones. Also won medals at World Age Group Championships
- National Champions – Jayde Beacall, Neil Gregory and Matthew Southern (Synchro), Tom Jones, Hanna Moses, Bethan Williams. Also many team champions.
PAST OUTSTANDING MEMBERS OF THE CLUB
- Dave Rankin (died 1996) Founded the club and was also on the BTF national committee and an International Judge. He also organised coaching Nationally for many years, and was the NW Secretary for many years.
- Ken Todd (died 2009) For many years one of the recreational coaches, and regular judge at most regional events. He was at one time Treasurer and then Chair and then President of the NW committee.
Sue Freeman – Club Coach, Regional Judge – Author of ‘Trampolining – Know the game’. NW judging secretary and committee member and main judge tutor for the NW. Peter Herron – Senior Club Coach; National Judge (formerly International DMT judge); former National and NW Judging Secretary. and Tutor of Judge courses. Cathy Page – High Performance Coach (Tramp and DMT), former Chair of British Gymnastics Trampolining Coach Education Panel, National Judge, Double Mini Tramp. Former Club Secretary/Treasurer. Tutor to all levels of Coach up to High Performance level. NW Treasurer and committee member. Lynsey Steen – formerly a competitor, now awaiting completion of High Performance Coach Tramp and DMT, Also a County judge. Michelle Williams – formerly a competitor now awaiting examination at High Performance Coach Level – County Judge, Senior Club Double Mini tramp Coach.
Many of our former members continued with trampolining and ran or run their own clubs. Paul Abram – ran a club in Everton Park, Liverpool and trained 3 champions at the world age group championships in one year – Lorraine Lyon the under 11 champion that year went on to be the World senior Synchro Champion. Ian Moscrop – ran a club in Liverpool for many years producing youth Internationals. Trevor Kearon – coached for a while, was last seen on televisions Castaways on the Scottish island for a year! Zoe Quarless runs the Aerodynamic trampoline Club at the Oval. Peter Edge who competed at the top level to the age of 50 also coaches with Aerodynamic. Jayde Beacall who trained as a coach with our club then set up classes for those with disabilities. Andy Wild who was a Youth International now runs his own club in Wirral – Momentum Gymnastic Academy
For about the past 30 years we have held an annual club barbeque at the Thurstaston Country Park in July. To date it has never been called off for rain